Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Joys of Mastitis

Oh my god you guys I was so sick. I apparently allowed some mastitis to go unnoticed and get kinda severe and I really really thought I might die because I had never experienced chills like this and had no idea what was going on. It is in the 90s here right now and I was wrapped up in my winter bath robe under all the blankets plus my winter quilt and was still freezing and shaking uncontrollably for hours until I finally woke my husband up and he set about getting me drinks and tylenol and club crackers (all the shaking made me throw up eventually) and demanding to know why I hadn't woken him up sooner.

The answer to that is that it kind of snuck up on me. I always get sort of cold at night so at first I thought that's all it was. And my breast was kind of hurting which was keeping me awake but my son had been night waking and nursing lately and did not (thank your preferred thankee) wake up Friday night so I thought I was just engorged and I didn't connect the two until around 9 in the morning when I was no longer shaking but was still definitely sick and called my Mommy to wax pitiful and she said that it sounded like mastitis and then I felt pretty dumb and went to the doctor who couldn't believe last night was the first I noticed it. And the thing is, I had been kinda feverish and tired for the last few days, but I haven't been sleeping and it's freakin' hot so it was easy to brush off.

I've gotten some wicked strong antibiotics and am coming along quite nicely, though I still kind of feel like I have a weak flu. The whole thing did result in some overwhelming cuteness Saturday morning when my son finally woke up. He's 15 months now so I don't think he really understood what was going on, but instead of insisting on running around and playing like he normally does in the morning (he is definitely a morning person) he sat quietly on the bed next to me for over an hour rubbing my belly and feeding me (and him) club crackers in between snuggling. So even though the circumstances sucked, that's a hallmark memory right there.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm following you, and I'm blogging too. Can you see that I'm following you and also see my blog? It'd be cool if at least one person was reading it.

Summer said...

I can see you but I didn't see your blog. The phone doesn't work well with blogger though so I'll look on the computer later.