Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Totes Easy Recipes


Check it out everybody I'm actually blawging something useful!

I found Alaska Salmon Bake with Pecan Crunch Coating on AllRecipes.com. I didn't change any of the ingredients or amounts. The only thing I did differently from the original recipe instructions was I brushed half of the honey mustard mixture on the salmon and then put the pecans and breadcrumbs on the salmon and then I drizzled the rest of the honey mustard mixture on top of that. It was super easy to make and it tasted great. Even my husband liked it and he's not really a fish guy. I suspect the topping would work well on just about any fish. I'm planning to try it on a tilapia sometime soon.

TIP: I'm morally opposed to paying someone to crumble up bread for me. I save the end pieces from my sandwich bread in the freezer and food process it up whenever I need bread crumbs. I've always thought that works pretty good.

Next: (Picture to come)
As you might be able to tell I'm trying to get more seafood in our diet. I didn't grow up eating it so I have basically no frame of reference for taste combinations. If you're looking for an easier version of this, the inspiration recipe used green onions and no peas, butter, or garlic simmering. Just mix together the green onions, shrimp, pasta, and ranch dressing.

Shrimp Pasta Salad

Ingredients:
1 pound cooked shrimp, tails removed
1 cup frozen or fresh green peas
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 small white onion, chopped (or 3-4 green onions)
4 tablespoons butter or margarine
14.5 oz angel hair pasta
2 cups ranch dressing

Directions:

1. Melt the butter or margarine in a skillet on medium heat.

2. Add peas, onions, and garlic to the butter and simmer for approximately 15 minutes. Meanwhile bring the water for the pasta to a boil.

3. Cook pasta to al dente per package instructions.

4. 2 minutes before the pasta is done add shrimp to the skillet with the peas and onions.

5. In a large bowl mix together the ranch dressing, pasta, and skillet ingredients. You can serve immediately but it is actually meant to be chilled and served cold.


2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Those sound really good! I've been trying to incorporate more fish into our diet as well. I'm not sure if it's from growing up in the desert or what, but I rarely think to buy/cook seafood.

Summer said...

Thanks!

Yeah it's weird because I grew up on the coast, in a place that's pretty famous for good seafood. Neither of my parents really like seafood though, so we just never had it in the house, so I didn't even think to order it in restaurants. It's kind of harder than I thought it would be to retrain my brain to even consider it as an option.