Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Psst!

Hey y'all as it turns out, brussels sprouts are freakin' delicious!

Via the How to Cook Everything app on my iPhone I bring you the recipe that made me love this much maligned vegetable. (So maligned in my life in fact, that I have never bothered trying them before.)

Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Bacon

Ingredients:

6 Ounces Bacon, Chopped
1 Pound Brussels Sprouts (trim off hard edge of stems and remove first layer of leaves)
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon thyme
( I added one handful of parmesan cheese at the end)

Steps:

1) Put the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When it starts to sizzle, reduce the heat to medium and cook until crisp and the fat is rendered. (about 5-10 minutes). Meanwhile, cut each sprout into thin slices or shreds, or cut them into quarters.

2) Add the sprouts and 1/4 cup water to the pan with the bacon; sprinkle with salt and pepper, turn the heat to medium, and cover. Cook, undisturbed, until nearly tender, about 5 minutes.

3) When the sprouts are ready, uncover and raise the heat back to medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until any remaining water evaporates and the sprouts are fully tender, about 5 more minutes. Stir in the vinegar and thyme. Sprinkle cheese over top if desired.


Dew it!

ETA: OMG I just realized this isn't a Rachael Ray recipe!


No comments: