Thursday, May 5, 2011

Sad Face

The agent who requested my full manuscript e-mailed me a few minutes ago letting me know she was passing. I knew it would happen, because I have sent off all of one query letter and it simply isn't that easy, but it's still pretty disappointing.

I think overall it's for the best. I mean, I have a lot of respect for this agent and I'd be really pleased for her to represent me but the two short stories I'm working on for anthologies right now are both fantasy stories and I'm having a lot of fun writing them. It's so much fun that I'm considering going that direction for my next novel, and she is very clear that she does not represent fantasy so it possibly wouldn't have worked out in the long term anyway.

And even though all that's true, I've still got a hole in my stomach over it. Especially because her stated reason was that she couldn't connect emotionally to the main character. She was very nice about it, but it's one of those things that isn't an easy fix, and could possibly not need fixing if it's a situation where not everyone connects to everything but there's no real way to know which it is.

Ugh.

No comments: