Monday, May 10, 2010

I hate BP's stupid face

Everyday it looks more and more likely that my son and any other children we may have will not get the privilege I had of growing up loving the Gulf Coast. This truly saddens me and I wanted to post about it seperately from my son's birthday post because I don't want to detract from the happiness of that event.



I don't live there anymore but I grew up near the beach at went their frequently. I consider my love of the water in general, and that beach in particular to be central to who I am as a person. And I can't effing believe that one stupid oil company is likely going to steal that from me and from countless other people. I know it's an ecological nightmare and that's terrible to think about which may be why I keep pushing the environmental consequences of this out of my head. The main thing I keep thinking about is how this is going to ruin so many people's lives and there will just be no accountability for it. It's like my friend said,



"I mean there are only two things there, fishing and tourism. When those are gone what's left?"



The economy there has already been depressed by the insurance companies who have jacked up their rates in the last few years to make it almost impossible to live there and very difficult for business to turn a profit as it is. If they don't start getting this contained I just don't know what will happen to everyone who depends on those industries.



How could BP not already have a plan for this? Am I really supposed to buy that no one in that whole multi-billion dollar international corporation thought that just maybe a man-made machine in constant use, outside, and submerged in saltwater just might break eventually? I think it's much more likely that just didn't give a damn because caring is generally not cost effective.



I've been to other beaches all over the world, and their lovely. But this one is mine. And I'm afraid I'm going to lose it forever.





No comments: